As mentioned in my previous blog, I will now be discussing in detail the tools that I will be using to promote AppExpress on the digital space.
Here are the important tools that I have equipped myself with to be able to contribute more and become effective in executing activities including how I integrate them with traditional marketing tools:
- Website – This includes content planning, wire framing, design, user interface and user experience
Integration: Through targeting and identifying the behavior of your target, you can predict what attracts your audience and what would make them want to move on to the next step.
Resources: There are literally a lot of websites that offer easy website building such as WordPress, Wix, Weebly and Shopify and of course, AppExpress. For more information on wire framing, you may check this article in Tutsplus.
- Online Publishers – These are bloggers, digital publications and press release distribution sites
Integration: When you are promoting or launching a product/service, you should have a press release. There are publisher networks online where you can submit your material (paid/free) and they will distribute your press release for you. Using your targeting again, you should identify which sites, bloggers, networks distribute PRs to your target market. Check out the press release we made for AppExpress.
Resources: Here is a sample list of press release distribution sites.
- Online Advertisement – The most popular of which is Google Ads, but there are more now such as Facebook and LinkedIn; there are also other ways of paid advertising online such as ad network agencies and paid reviews
Integration: STP, the 7 P’s and CTA play important roles in being able to create effective ads and distributing them to the proper channels. Most sites that have ads offer targeting which you will need to champion. It can go as broad as what continents your targets are located and as specific as which companies they work for. I once had to come up with ads for a certain online service; I took the most important keywords and ended up with close to 800 permutations! It was a bit tough because I only had to launch 4, but knowing what the keywords are helped me decide which ones would work best.
- Emailer/Digital Newsletter – These are software that allow you to send emails to large volumes of recipients. There are some that offer drag-and-drop features for content – I use Mailchimp.
Integration: Assuming you already have your database, you will need to know which items are important enough to deliver to your audience on a regular basis. Knowing which activities would work best either ATL (maybe a Youtube link) or BTL (a promo code) or both at a certain time of the year would really help your brand maximize the use of this tool. Most importantly, a CTA is needed to conclude this activity.
- Social Media – Depending on the target audience, there are channels that are effective in delivering and enforcing your marketing message in a viral behaviour
Integration: Again, you will need to know where your market is and you will be able to know this from STP and through the market landscape research.
Resources: Here is a nice article briefly explaining which social media channel works best for various markets.
- Monitoring Tools – The most popular of which is Google Analytics. Through this, you will be able to identify how many people visit your site in x period of days, which pages on your site they visit, how long do they stay on your site, where are they coming from, etc.
Integration: When you have created your metrics for your marketing activities, you will be able to determine which functions on your analytics application would work best to serve you.
Resources: As mentioned, I use Google Analytics, but most website builder apps already include analytics into their package
Obviously, there are more tricks and methods to what was written above. These are only the basic tools that an online marketer should have in my opinion (and personal experience) but one good thing about digital marketing is that it’s almost boundless and possibilities are infinite.